‘What Face Wednesday’ Competition

Today I am launching a weekly series of typeface identification competitions, entitled ‘What Face Wednesday’. I will announce the start of each competition via my Twitter feed at a random time each Wednesday. A different prize will be offered each week and this week’s prize is any one hand-printed letterpress greeting card (including free International p&p) from the selection on my Typoretum website.

Answers must be posted on this Blog, as a comment, and the first correct identification of the typeface will be the winner. Sorry, but I will not be able to accept answers submitted via Twitter or email. Good luck!

Congratulations to the winner of this week’s competition, Jens Jørgen Hansen, who correctly identified the typeface as Granby Inlined. This typeface was introduced by the Sheffield typefounders’ Stephenson & Blake in 1932.

wfw_22ndapril2009

6 Comments

1. Jens Jørgen Hansen, bogtrykker
    Posted April 22, 2009 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Dear Justin Knopp
    The typeface is GRANBY INLINED.
    What a funny idea with a little quiz on this very interesting blog.
    Best regards & Gott grüß die Kunst
    Jens

2. Justin Knopp
    Posted April 22, 2009 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Congratulations Jens – You correctly identified the typeface as Granby Inlined. This typeface was introduced by the Sheffield typefounders’ Stephenson & Blake in 1932.

3. Posted April 22, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Hello,

I attempted to find out what this font was and got as far as Granby SB Xbold, I read that this font was created by Elsner+Flake in 1982, is there any truth in this? what is the history of Granby?

Thanks

4. Justin Knopp
    Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Thanks for your comment.

I’ve consulted a few of my trusty type specimen books and all I have been able to establish is that the Granby series was introduced by Stephenson & Blake in the 1930s and Granby Inlined (the variant shown above) was introduced in 1932.

I’d be interested to find out more, as Granby is one of my favourite letterpress sans-serif typefaces…

5. Posted April 23, 2009 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Hi,

Yeah it seems I was barking up the wrong tree and it was digitalised in 1982 by Elsner+Flake. Do really like the font though, especially the Inlined variant, do you know whether it is available anywhere?

Thanks again, I’ve only recently got really into the history of typography but am finding it fascinating and your blog has quickly become a valuable resource.

Cheers

6. Posted April 23, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Dear Justin: inspired competition and I might even sign up for Twitter on the back of it! Have you seen the mention of Granby (and links to Johnstone’s faces) at the bottom of this Typotheque article?